[Bnomic-private] Stop me before it's too late...

Glotmorf glotmorf@earthlink.net
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 02:19:04 -0400

On 8/21/02 at 11:21 PM Wonko wrote:

>Quoth Glotmorf,
>
>> I have had a vision.
>>
>> Imagine a city, perhaps the size of Manhattan, with office buildings,
>stores,
>> tenements, and perhaps even boroughs and subways.
>>
>> Imagine the rules to a Nomic game are businesses of varying sizes
>(depending
>> on the size and/or complexity of the rule), with offices in the city.
>>
>> Imagine the tradable items in the game are available in the stores.
>>
>> Imagine entities have homes in the tenements.
>>
>> Now imagine editing the rules by breaking into the rules' offices and
>trashing
>> them.  Changing the availability of items by robbing, vandalizing,
>running
>> protection rackets on or even buying the stores.  Players can be spied
>on, and
>> possibly robbed, by black-bag operations at their homes.
>>
>> You don't necessarily know that a given rule has a given office.  The
>business
>> that represents the rule may have a name, a mission, a product/service
>line,
>> etc. that hints at the rule, but nothing anywhere says Rule 15 is in
>Suite 215
>> at 5th and 47th.  And there are other businesses that serve as red
>herrings,
>> including ones that seem to compete with the actual rule businesses.
>Possibly
>> you can start businesses like that to throw off other players.  And
>businesses
>> may move around as their office space needs change.
>>
>> Nuking the city Just Isn't Allowed.
>>
>> Is this as off the wall as it sounds to me?  Is it desirable?  Is it=
 even
>> possible?  Has it...been done?
>
>Off the wall?
>Yes, but so what? You should hear some of the ideas I've had for Nomic
>Games
>(one of which involved 24 or more seperate rulesets)
>
>Desirable?
>Not in this game. But maybe, when it's all over, we can start again like
>that...
>
>Possible?
>You'd need a really good admin, maybe even two or three, just to keep=
 track
>of where everything is. Ministries would often be hard to do - so much
>knowledge is known only to the admins, the Ministers would often have to
>make multiple queries for info in order to do anything. But it could be
>done.
>
>Been Done?
>Frankly, outside of your message and some crazed speculations I had back
>when the Grid was first developed, I've never seen ANY mention of rules
>even
>having physical locations. I'm almost certain that it's never been done.

Wow.  An original Nomic idea. :)  I'll post it to the BB and see if it's=
 truly unique.

It's not just physical locations, BTW.  Think physical manifestations.=
  Imagine, for example, that the Gremlin rule was, say, an employment=
 agency or a theatrical agent.  That the Grid rule was the city planner's=
 office, a mapmaking company or a realtor.  That the voting rule was a=
 government office, a consumer survey company or the local office of the=
 ACLU.

I daresay we're taling massive.  It might actually be easier to find, say,=
 some existing and viable MORPG somewhere and do the parasite thang.

>Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a game run by multiple admins
>before?

Possibly the Rosicrucian Nomic.  I think it had a High Priest and a High=
 Priestess.

						Glotmorf