[Bnomic-private] Scam: Bandwidth

Orc In A Spacesuit bnomic-private@ysolde.ucam.org
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 00:21:04 -0600

This is to bnomic-private@ysolde.ucam.org, Wonko.  I don't think it's still
a public forum.

>From: Wonko <dplepage@twcny.rr.com>
>That exhausts my Token-of-Proposals Bonus Bandwidth. But since modification
>doesn't involve bandwidth, I can now amend these 2 proposals into full
>proposals, confident that they will not count any more towards my
>Bandwidth.

Nice.

>__Societies__

I have some problems with this, but I'm open to the possibility it may be
good with some changes.

>I. Definition
>     A society is a group of entities, called the Members of that society,
>who agree to be governed by a set of publicly visible rules, called the
>Charter of that society, and who have become members of that society in a
>manner prescribed by either the rules or by the society's Charter.

Entity isn't really well defined in the game rules; hence my special
definitions.  Are societies entities?

>II. Actions
>     A society is capable of taking the following actions, subject to the
>restrictions listed in this rule and in all other rules:
>
>Accepting new members
>Evicting current members
>Destributing possessions of the society to its members
>Modifying its charter
>Disbanding and destroying itself
>Making proposals
>Changing proposals it has made
>
>Restrictions:
>     A society does not take actions unless its charter dictates that it
>does. A society cannot take any action that is forbidden by one or more
>game
>rules. A society cannot issue a proposal unless its bandwidth is at least
>1.
>
>III. Possessions
>     Societies may possess any object that a player could legally possess.
>society may transfer any or all of its possessions to any other entity that
>could possess those objects, but does so only when its charter dictates
>that
>it does.
>     Any player may transfer a game object they possess which they could
>legally give to another player to any society, unless a rule prohibits
>this.

I want this, but this causes lots of problems.  What is the location of the
object?  Under the current rules, the object stays where it is, can be
picked up, is subject to destruction, may be Tractor Beamed, etc.  Plus,
this could allow me to teleport anything anywhere just through use of a
society.  Which is the reason for the Warehouses idea, which anyone can feel
free to borrow for eir own use.

>IV. Score
>     Each society has a Point Balance. When a society gains points, those
>points are destroyed and the society's Point Balance increases by the
>number
>of points. When a society loses points, its Point Balance decreases by the
>amount of points lost. A society with a positive Point Balance may give
>points up to its Point Balance to any entity which can possess points; the
>society lose points equal to the number given.

But Societies don't have points.  So Societies won't be able to exchange
stuff.  So b2b is out the window.

>If a society's Point Balance
>is negative, it may not give points to any other entity, although other
>entities may give points to it if the rules permit it. If a society with a
>Negative Point Balance is disbanded, its members each lose |PB|/n points,
>rounded up, where PB is the Point Balance of that society, and n is the
>number of members. If a society has a negative Point Balance and only one
>member, and that member leaves the society, the member first loses points
>equal to the magnitude of the society's Point Balance.

Leaving the last one out holding the bag.

>V. Bandwidth
>     Societies may possess Bandwidth. When a society makes a proposal, its
>bandwidth decreases by one. A society may not make a proposal if it has no
>Bandwidth. Any player may transfer a point of Bandwidth from emself to any
>society.
>
>VI. Charm
>     Societies possess Charm. When a society's proposal passes, its Charm
>increases by one. When a society's proposal fails, its Charm decreases by
>one. Any society may transfer a point of Charm from itself to any player,
>but only as its charter dictates.

Charm can be positive or negative.  There's a reason I didn't do this for
Charm.  Just give the difference out.

>VII. Creation
>     Once per nweek, each player may create a new society whose only member
>is that player.
>
>VIII. Clarification
>     [[Everything in this section is technically covered by some other part
>of this rule, but is included here to make it as clear as possible how the
>preceding sections are to be interpreted.]]
>     Membership in a society is entirely at the discretion of the member.
>No
>player may be forced to become a member of a society, and any player may
>choose to leave a society rather than fulfill a requirement set forth in
>that society's charter. If the last member of a society leaves that
>society,
>the society ceases to exist. [[because without members, it no longer fits
>the definition of a society.]]
>
>}}
>}}
>
>--
>Wonko

Are you not wanting Corporations?  I don't have a problem with them going
out, but are you aware you are doing this?

Orc In A Spacesuit