[Bnomic-private] Random thoughts...

Baron von Skippy baronvonskippy@hotmail.com
Mon, 02 Sep 2002 21:44:53 -0400

>The Pause is at 3 right now. There's still time for Refresh proposals, if
>anyone has any zany ideas.
>
>I retract my Refresh proposal, by the way. The others out there seem to
>have things well in hand.
>
>I also present the following, which I was gonna mail separately, but then
>I realized that the above was only like five lines and there's no point
>wasting valuable electrons on a separate email. :-)

>This is an idea, and probably a very bad one. I'll propose it as soon as
>Normality has been restored, just so it can be voted down and we can
>confirm how incredibly bad an idea it is.
>
>Actually, Item 1 isn't that bad an idea, but that'll be outdone by Item 2.
>In fact, Item 2 will likely cause shock and revulsion.
>
>{{ __The Worst Thing Since Sliced Bread__
>
>This is an A La Carte Proposal.
>
>Item 1:
>
>{{
>
>Create a new rule:
>
>{{ __Gold Stars__
>
>There exist Objects called Gold Stars.
>
>Gold Stars may be awarded by the Administrator to any player, at any time.
>A player may own any number of Gold Stars. Gold Stars may not be
>transferred between players or removed from a player's possession by any
>means except those explicitly stated in this rule. This rule takes
>precedence over every other rule in this regard.
>
>Each Gold Star has, associated with it, a Date of Issue.
>
>At the start of the voting period in the third nweek following the Date of
>Issue for a given Gold Star, that Gold Star ceases to exist.
>
>[[ i.e. whether you get it on 22.1 or 22.9, it'll still expire at 24.8 ]]
>
>}}
>
>Replace the text of Rule 212 with the following:
>
>{{
>
>Each player is limited to a maximum of 5 proposals per nweek. This rule
>does not apply to any player that has a Gold Star.
>
>}}
>
>}} [[ end of item 1 ]]
-Well, that seems innocuous enough... but...-

>[[ and now the REALLLLLLLLY UGLY part... ]]
>
>Item 2:
>
>{{
>
>Create a new rule:
>
>{{ __Make Propo$al$ FA$T__
>
>Any player may, at any time, pay Five US dollars to the Administrator in
>exchange for a Gold Star. The Gold Star shall be issued to the paying
>player at the beginning of the nweek following receipt of payment. If
>payment is received during the first two days of an nweek, the
>Administrator may, at eir discretion, issue the Gold Star immediately.
>
>Players may purchase Gold Stars on behalf of other players, by requesting
>such when payment is made. Players may pay in advance, requesting that
>Gold Stars be issued at a specific point in the future, by requesting such
>when payment is made.
>
>}}
>
>Append the following to Rule 206 [[ Garbage Collection ]] :
>
>{{
>
>This rule does not apply to any player that has a Gold Star.
>
>}}
>
>Append the following to the second paragraph of Rule 205 [[ Leaves of
>Absence ]] :
>
>{{
>
>A player that has a Gold Star may not be placed on Forced Leave. E may
>still voluntarily choose to go On Leave.
>
>}}
>
>Append the following to the end of the list in Rule 26 [[ New Players ]] :
>
>{{
>
>One Gold Star, issued as of the date e became a Player
>
>}}
>
>}} [[ end of item 2 ]]
>
>}}

-Absolutely not. No no no no no. Paying for extra bandwidth is a Bad Thing
((C) Voice, 2002). Not for you- it's an inspired idea, really- but for
players who don't have that many proposal ideas, it's disaster. For example,
I can see Wonko spending a couple of weeks planning 20 proposals and redoing
the Game in one nweek for the low cost of $5. Not cool. I don't like the
extended time thing either. As is, discounting /this/ nweek, 3 nweeks is
about 40 days. You can't do anything in this game in 40 days, you're either
dead or not playing any more. Or both. I do think the basic idea of Gold
Stars- their existence- has merit, though...-

                                                   [[BvS]]