[Bnomic-private] Automation (Dave read this)

Orc In A Spacesuit orcinaspacesuit@hotmail.com
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:47:29 -0500

This is a totally new idea, and Dave, please consider this, especially since
it could help you do your job easier:

In my prop, a lot of things are standardized.  In fact, I have been creating
a list of all possible actions (move, throw, force whatever, exchange
(covers buy/sell)), the requirements to do so, and their effects.  I came up
with an idea:

A sort of script/web page/whatever on which the players may choose from a
list of possible actions (move, propose, vote, force absorb, etc.), choose
their targets (what they are throwing, who they are throwing it at...), and
any other values, like the text of a prop.

Now, I'm sure all of you are wondering how it deals with illegal actions,
and what good it will do anyway.  First, actions do not happen just because
you attempt them; the page would only allow the attempting.  Whenever
someone attempts an action, it is listed on a second web page, in a standard
form.  The admin can then easily just check off which actions fail and which
succeed.  Everyone else would also have easy access to see what has
happened; email could even be sent out on a regular basis showing changes to
the the page, for those who don't want to bother going there to see what
happpened.

Well, that would be kinda nice, but here's something that could be added to
that:  Let's say someone takes the Move action to Grid Location (5,6).  The
admin looks at what's going on, determines that the move is legal, and
clicks the check box.  For the move action, there is a tiny (one-line,
maybe) script that /automatically moves that player, putting him on the
correct location on the grid/.  If he recognizes a CFI, all he has to do is
click the checkmark, and pick a judge from the active players (an option
list with their names could pop up), and sit back until a ruling comes.

We wouldn't want the above paragraph to become too ingrained, of course, as
the rules can change what happens.  Therefore, if such a system is
implemented, it would of course be wise to manually do the changes for
actions that are likely to change in effect, only automating things like
throws and moves and such.  But still, it would likely be much easier on the
admin.

Finally, if my prop passes, it will be EXTREMELY easy to put /everything/
about the game into one database (And I could put it into one, if you guys
want).  With this done, not only could the earlier stuff in this post
happen, but also this: The system could take a look at the current state of
the game, and determine that "the square being moved to is not within within
1 square of the player's current location", or "the square being moved to
contains an impassable object", giving /reccomendations/ about the legality
of the action so the admin doesn't have to look the simple stuff up every
time.

I have database experience in C and Visual Basic, so could contribute to
this being set up, but I don't have the java and other stuff down enough yet
to do it all by myself.

If nothing else, this system could provide a more detailed and accurate grid
and roster, and automate some of the minstries.

Orc In A Spacesuit
Current Status: Already designing scripts and such in his head, in case this
idea is used.