[Bnomic-private] Orc's stuff

Orc In A Spacesuit orcinaspacesuit@hotmail.com
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 02:06:44 -0500

I have posted the current state of my prop, and some more stuff, online.
Remeber, this is a work in progress, so don't slam me yet, but I do welcome
comments, including those pointing out things I missed.

The database there doesn't really have useful values yet.  It's currently
just got some of the structure made.

As for the problems with scripting and the big prop and how things change:
My prop is being designed with flexibility in mind.  For minor additions,
very little wording is needed; the groundwork covers the contingincies
(sp?).  For exceptions, the entire thing is designed to let exceptions be
all over, without setting of conflictions.  And for sweeping changes, all
the elements are encapsulated, so if you for some reason wanted to make the
grid multi-dimensional, add a new mini-game, redo the time system, whatever,
you can do that part without disrupting the rest.
With scripting, if done right, things can be easily adapted to the rules.
Just as we write rules in English, so can things be written in code, often
with ease.  Making a baseball minigame?  Hmm, just need add a few database
items (Baseball, bats), set a few properties(Baseball Player, 1st Base), and
add a couple of actions (Pitch, Swing) and, if feeling fancy, some scripts
(determine if hitting is legal).

In any case with the automated system I propose, the Admin still has the
final say on EVERYTHING.  All the scripts do is make _suggestions_ based on
the rules (say whether it thinks something is legal), or take default
actions (changing position of a player from a move action) IF THE ADMIN
CHOOSES TO.  If the Admin wants, he go do everything manually.

Orc In A Spacesuit
Current Status: Unable to tell, due to extreme gamestate wonkiness.