[Bnomic-private] Synopsis

Wonko dplepage@twcny.rr.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 00:12:26 -0400

Quoth Glotmorf,

>>> I have database experience in C and Visual Basic, so could contribute to
>>> this being set up, but I don't have the java and other stuff down enough
>> yet
>>> to do it all by myself.
>>>
>>> If nothing else, this system could provide a more detailed and accurate
>> grid
>>> and roster, and automate some of the minstries.  The reason I bring this
>>> idea
>>> up is that Dave seems overwhelmed, especially with the 1000 cfi and other
>>> foolishness.
>>
>> I've actually been working on programs that work as you've described - the
>> Ministry of the Force website, for example, is actually written by a spiffy
>> little interface program I wrote, so all I have to do is post it online.
>> I'd
>> also been thinking of adapting ForceLord slightly to take on other
>> ministries as well (I actually laid out all the plans for a GridLord
>> program, but I never wrote it 'cause WC then got the Ministry). But I don't
>> know much Java or any other web-oriented language, so I'm not sure if what
>> I've written can be useful at all...
>
> Something that might be useful is externally-connectable databases, like SQL
> or ODBC servers, so that coding and database development isn't restricted to a
> single server.  I'm coding on Joel's server, maintaining my own database and
> connecting to Dave's on a read-only basis, but it isn't technically necessary
> that this be the case.  Not that I fault Joel in any way, but somehow I
> suspect he doesn't really want to give a login ID and database to each player
> of a single game...

Well, I've been meaning to learn SQL... Maybe now would be a good time.

>> If we wrote it all as one program, wouldn't it be easiest just to make it
>> like some sort of MUD?
>
> I hear tell there was a Nomic MUD out there.  No idea how well it operated.

Well, Dave mentioned way back when that one of eir friends had been toying
with the idea... Also, though I have yet to find any reasonable records on
this, there are references made in a number of places to a MUD-based Nomic
Game called Nomic World. It apparantly worked quite well - it was rumored to
have upwards of 30 players most of the time. Following its demise, according
to eir ruleset, the Agorans founded eir Nomic to replace it. Speaking of
which, remember Ed Murphy, and eir Bnomic Reports - I happened across the
origins of that - Ed Murphy was, for quite some time, the publisher of the
Agoran Weekly Journal.

--
Wonko