[Bnomic-private] Re: [spoon-discuss] Too quiet, bd?

Orc In A Spacesuit orcinaspacesuit@hotmail.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 17:08:20 -0500

Well, you did a nice reply, and so did Glotmorf, but you used the old
version.  The latest (but still incomplete) version is at
http://comp.uark.edu/~jas29/nomic/
and is a combination of uber-prop_new-rules.txt,
uber-prop_repeals+revisions.txt, and uber-prop_new-grid.txt.
uber-prop_summary.txt is an in-progress summary of actual changes, and is
far from finalized.

The reason I put it on the web page instead of sending it via email is so
that I don't fill your email with 80 kb emails (and their responses), and so
you guys will always have access to the latest version.

I have already fixed that up some.  Many grammar mistakes have been fixed,
and more.  I still plan to rework actions, as it doesn't yet seem right.  A
lot of things you had problems with are fixed, and others will be.

Here are a few specific responses:

>If a physical object can be in only one location, that means that if
>DimSpace is defined to be a Physical Region, players could not occupy both
>DimSpace location and a GridSpace Location. That's bad.

Well, this rule defers to that imaginary DimSpace one.  I have thought of a
much better way to do DimSpace, without all the confusing Location stuff
getting mixed in.  All I need if for you guys to say you want Dimensions,
and it's in.

>Under the current ruleset, at least, these also need to be able to be the
>target of an action which moves them (moves them from one square to a
>consecutive one, that is) due to things such as PinBall Guns.

Fixing that when I rework the Actions.

>I've been trying for a long time to come up with something to do with Quake
>.  Any ideas?

Yes, I have it completely worked out in my mind.  Why do you think I
included the (currently useless) Action, Dodge Matrix-Style?  Were gonna
play MatrixNomiQuake and Jedi Football!

>Nevermind, I've just had a few... Has anyone here ever played 'Worms'?

>If you have, think about what might come of mixing a Sheep Gnome with a
>Bomb
>Gnome...

Yes.  I am considering adding more Gnome possibilities when I streamline the
whole Gnome thing.

>So thing such as the existance of players and other objects are not part of
>the GameState?

I am making the Gamestate be something different, just an Object that is a
catch-all for things that don't really apply elsewhere.  All the "don't mess
with the Game State" rules and provisions have been (or will be) rewritten
to apply to everything.

>So, for example, the admin could not end a Road Trip while the Clock was
>Off, because that would be an action?

This rule defers to those that contradict it, and when I get to the (now
self-repealed) Road Trip rule, I will include "this action may be taken
while The Clock is Off".  Already did the same for Leave.

>Also, what about the 'no climbing' rule - you can't move to a square whose
>depth is less than yours by more than 4 units.

Will be fixed when I rework Actions.

> > Action: Jump
>How does this differ from Move?

It lets you skip a space, and move 2.  I will probably make it let you deal
with some height restrictions.

>Matrix Dodging is all-new, isn't it?

Yup.

> > Action: Launch
>So, same as Throw, but 1 nday longer? Why not just allow Throwing >things
>to specify a time?

This is suppossed to represent just tossing something up really high in the
air, and having it land randomly.  I wanted to do that in-game, and I
figured I would make it possible.

Orc In A Spacesuit
Current Status: Still working away, trying to assauge all your concerns.