[Bnomic-private] Proposal: Speeder Upgrades

Glotmorf glotmorf@earthlink.net
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:27:29 -0400

On 9/16/02 at 6:54 PM Wonko wrote:

>{{
>__Improving Speeders__
>
>Create the following rule:
>{{
>__Wealthy Bastard Speeder Upgrades__ {*(WBE,Speeder,Grid),2*}
>
>A. Definition
>
>Airspeeders may be Upgraded.
>Each Upgrade sold by WBE has a price, has a resource cost, is either
>Reversable or Non-Reversable, is either Integrated or External, and has a
>Size. All upgrades are Non-Reversable, Integrated, and have a Size of 0,
>unless the rules specify otherwise.
>
>A.1 Purchasing
>
>Any player may upgrade an Airspeeder in eir possession provided that e has
>BNS equal to or exceeding the price of that upgrade, WBE's Raw Materials=
 is
>greater than or equal to the resource cost of that upgrade, the
>Airspeeder's
>remaining Upgrade Space exceeds or equals the Size of the upgrade, and the
>airspeeder being upgrade does not already have that upgrade. When a player
>upgrades an Airspeeder in this fashion, e pays the price of the upgrade in
>BNS to WBE, WBE's Raw Materials decreases by the resource cost of the
>upgrade, and the Airspeeder's Upgrade Space decreases by the Size of the
>Upgrade.
>
>A.2 Returns
>
>If a player has an Airspeeder that is Upgraded, and that upgrade is
>reversable, then e may Reverse the Upgrade. When a player reverses an
>Upgrade, BNS equal to 2/3 (rounded down) of the price of that upgrade is
>transferred from WBE to that player, unless this is more BNS than WBE has,
>in which case all of WBE's BNS is transferred instead. [[Note that this
>means you get no money if you return an upgrade when WBE is bankrupt]]
>Additionally, when an Upgrade is reversed, 9/10 of it's resource cost,
>rounded up, is added to the Raw Materials, and the Upgrade Space of the
>Airspeeder which had the Upgrade increases by the Size of the Upgrade.

This should involve a warranty period, during which funds are=
 frozen/escrowed/held in reserve; otherwise, since shillings are=
 automatically disbursed, the chances of there being any money back from=
 returns is slim to none.

>A.3 Destruction
>
>If a single event causes a Speeder which has External Upgrades to lose=
 more
>than 20 points of integrity, 1d3 is rolled. On a 1, a randomly chosen
>External Upgrade of that Speeder is destroyed, and a Small Lump of Scrap
>Metal is created at the Speeder's location.
>
>B. Mobility Upgrades
>
>WBE sells the following upgrades related to Mobility:
>
>B.1 Thrust Upgrade
>
>Thrust Upgrades
>Price:          100 BNS
>Resource Cost:  10
>
>A Speeder with a Thrust Upgrade may move one space more per nweek than it
>could otherwise.

Watch the wording.  Some might argue the above allows infinite movement,=
 since, after it's moved its extra space, it "may move one space more than=
 it could otherwise."

>B.2 Vertical Boosters
>
>Vertical Boosters
>Price:          120 BNS
>Resource Cost:  30
>
>The movements of a Speeder with Vertical Boosters are not affected by the
>relative depths of the squares it moves through.

What about heights?  What if a speeder starts out in a square with deep=
 depth?  Does it plow into the side of a high-depth square?

>B.2.1 Vertical Coasters
>
>Vertical Coasters
>Price:          90 BNS
>Resource Cost:  20
>
>A Speeder may not be equipped with Vertical Coasters unless it already has
>Vertical Boosters.
>A Speeder with Vertical Coasters may move onto a square which contains an
>Impassable object, provided that it then immediately moves again to a
>square
>which does not contain an Impassable Object.
>
>C. Utility Upgrades
>
>WBE sells the following Utility upgrades:
>
>C.1 Cargo Bays
>
>Cargo Bays
>Price:          70 BNS
>Resource Cost:  30
>Size:           1
>Reversable
>
>If a Speeder has a Cargo Bay, the owner of the speeder, if e is in the
>Speeder, may put Carryable Objects which e possesses in the Bay, or pick=
 up
>Carryable Objects that are in the Bay. Objects in a speeders Cargo Bay=
 move
>with the Speeder. No more than 4 objects may be put in a Cargo Bay.
>If an airspeeder is destroyed, all objects in its Cargo Bay are destroyed
>as
>well, except Gremlins, which go into Hiding instead.
>
>C.1.1 Expanded Cargo Bays
>
>Cargo Bays
>Price:          100 BNS
>Resource Cost:  40
>Size:           2
>Reversable
>
>A Speeder may not be equipped with an Expanded Cargo Bay unless it already
>has a Cargo Bay. When a Speeder is equipped with an Expanded Cargo Bay,=
 its
>Cargo Bay is destroyed. Expanded Cargo Bays are Cargo Bays, except that
>they
>may hold up to 10 Grid Objects.
>
>C.2 Tractor Beams
>
>Tractor Beams
>Price:          80 BNS
>Resource Cost:  50
>Size:           .5
>External
>Reversable
>
>If a player occupies a Speeder which e owns and which has a Tractor Beam
>attached to it, e may use the Tractor Beam to move any Carryable Object
>within 1 unit of the Speeder into the Speeder's Cargo Bay, if the Speeder
>has one. A Tractor Beam may not be used more than three times per nweek.

I'd say this should only affect carryable objects in grid locations not=
 already being carried by another game entity.  Les'n you figure this could=
 be used to pick players' pockets, or boost things out of other speeders'=
 cargo bays.

>C.3 Remote Controls
>
>Remote Controls
>Price:          120 BNS
>Resource Cost:  10
>Reversable
>
>If a Speeder has a Remote Control, then its owner may cause it to move
>regardless of whether or not e occupies that Speeder.
>
>C.3.1 Remote Pilots
>
>Remote Pilots
>Price:          220 BNS
>Resource Cost:  90
>Size:           2
>Reversable
>
>A Speeder may not be equipped with an Remote Pilot unless it already has a
>Remote Control. While a Speeder is equipped with a Remote Pilot, the
>upgrade
>Remote Control which it has may not be reversed.
>
>If a Speeder has a Remote Pilot, then its owner may cause that Speeder to
>do
>any of the following regardless of whether or not e occupies that Speeder:
>Move
>Use a Tractor Beam
>Fire a Weapon
>Drop an object that is in its Cargo Bay

Drop an object...like a bomb gnome?  Wonko, are you trying to invent MIRVs?

>D. Weapons
>
>WBE sells the following Weapons-related upgrades:
>
>D.1 Laser Guns
>
>Laser Guns
>Price:          110 BNS
>Resource Cost:  50
>Size:           .5
>Reversable
>External
>
>If a player occupies a Speeder which e owns and which has a Laser Gun
>attached to it, e may use the Laser Gun to Shoot at any other Airspeeder
>within 3 units of the firing Speeder's location. When this happens, that
>Airspeeder's Integrity decreases by 4d3. A Laser Gun may not be fired more
>than once per nweek. A Speeder may be equipped with up to five laser guns.
>}}
>
>}}

You didn't define speeders' upgrade space.  Does that mean speeders can't=
 be upgraded yet?

						Glotmorf