[Bnomic-private] Re: State of Emergency

Daniel Lepage bnomic-private@ysolde.ucam.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:08:53 -0500

On Wednesday, December 17, 2003, at 05:52 PM, Zarpint Jeremy Cook wrote:

> Yeah, the rule 0 emergency halt should be in the refresh.
> Also, we need to know what to set the clock to when we start, and what
> the
> current rules are...do we know?

I'll add the first two; we know what the current rules are, they're
just not available for view at the moment. They should be up soon...

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Daniel Lepage wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, December 17, 2003, at 09:16 AM, Zarpint Jeremy Cook
>> wrote:
>>
>>> You need an -arch title for Undeclared Gender. [Underarch?]
>>> To quote one "Emil Bleehall",
>>> "In recognition of each being's merit, regardless of gender..."
>>
>> Neutriarch, maybe?
>
> Not the best, since Undeclared isn't the same as Neuter...Drone is more
> like Neuter.

How about at Wafflearch (wahf-lee-ark, not wah-ful-ark)? Since they
can't make up their minds about what gender to be.

>>> And should we unflip the Circuit Breaker after your win as well?
>>
>> The new rule says:
>>
>> This covers resets, grid wipes, clockstops, and circuit breakers, to
>> name a few.
>> I'll add that this takes precedence.
>
> No, I meant where you wrote "Award Wonko a Win", if that's still there.

That's not in the prop, that's just my signature. It's there so that if
I ever forget to add a closing delimiter, it won't result in a lot of
random signature stuff being added to the gamestate. It will result in
a lot of intentional signature stuff being added to the gamestate ;)

A full rewrite of my refresh prop is being withheld until I'm certain
of the gamestate; in the meantime, here's a draft version:
{{
__Cleaning Up 2.0__

Amend r1282 to read:
{{
__Seniority__

There exist five groups of players called Age Groups. No player may
ever be in more than one age group.

All players who have been playing for less than two nweeks are in the
Newbie age group. Such players are called Newbies.

All players who have been playing for more than two nweeks but less
than six months are in the Experienced age group. Such players have no
special description for their age group.

All players who have been playing for between six months and one year
are in the Veteran age group. Such players are called Veterans.
When a player becomes a Veteran, e receives one point of Respect.

All players who have been playing for between one year and two years
are in the Oligarch age group. Such players may be referred to as
Oligarchs. They may also be referred to by whichever of the following
titles matches their gender:
Male: Patriarch
Female: Matriarch
Drone: Neutriarch
Undeclared: Waffliarch
When a player becomes an Oligarch, e receives three points of Respect.

All players who have been playing for more than two years are in the
Elder age group. Such players may be referred to as Ancients. They may
also be referred to by the title matching their genders as described in
the above section, with "Elder" prepended to the title.
When a player becomes an Ancient, e receives five points of Respect,
and the number of Wins in eir possession increases by one. However,
this does not cause any events triggered by the awarding of a Win to
occur. This supersedes any and all rules which govern the events
triggered by a Win.

If a player quits the game and rejoins, e is considered a new player
for the purposes of this rule; that is, e will begin over as a Newbie.

The player who has been in the game for the longest time holds the
title "Revered Elder."
}}
[[This addresses all previously mentioned problems with this rule, I
believe, and clarifies the behavior of the age classes.]]

Supress the Win and the points of Respect that would be given to Iain
under the preceding rule. [[One could argue that e should receive them
again, since e's never been an Ancient in this sense before.]]

Repeal the rule entitled __No Win For You__, if one exists.

Give all BNS to the bank, then transfer 2000 BNS to each player.
[[ I don't see why anyone should bother recounting our BNS totals; even
if we knew how much we had, I'd still want to level things before
developing any use for it. ]]

Add to the end of r0 the text:
{{
If, during an emergency, a majority of the most recently recognized
body of players recognizes that there is no longer an emergency, the
Procedure immediately ends, if it is currently happening, and the
Emergency ends with no change to the state of the game.
}}

Replace the text of the rule entitled __An Upstanding Citizen__ with:
{{
A player is said to be Upstanding if and only if they have nonegative
Charm, Activity, and Respect.

A Player who isn't Upstanding may not be awarded a Win. This rule
supersedes all rules that award wins.
}} [[It was complained that the Upstanding rule was too limiting. This
relaxes the restrictions to allow zeroed dimensions as well.]]

Destroy the following societies, if they exist:
OrcTech
Athena's Society
The Secret Mookies
Wonko's Cashbox
The First International Bank of bd
[[ There is no difference between any of these societies and a generic
society just created - they have no resources, nor any special
properties. Thus, anyone could create societies identical to these at
any point; there is no point in keeping them around, especially since
some of them may not still exist.

Athena's Society does not have the power to enforce its Tontine
regulations - a player on the verge of Garbage Collection must be On
Leave, and On Leave players may not take actions. Which is probably not
a good thing, as coming On Leave is an action.

Interestingly enough, it is legal for a player to come Off Leave if the
Clock is Off, since the rule later notes that players may come On or
Off Leave even while the Clock is off. But when it's on, taking any
action in the game is illegal for them.

So we'll fix that too:
]]

Replace the text of r205 with:
{{
Each player, at any given time, shall be either On Leave or Off Leave.
Any player who is Off Leave may, by posting a message on a public
forum, declare emself to be On Leave. Any player who is On Leave may,
by posting a message on a public forum, declare emself to be Off Leave.
By taking any game action on a public forum, a player who is On Leave
automatically, by implication, declares emself to be Off Leave.

A player who is On Leave cannot be selected by any process which
randomly selects a player, and may not take any game actions except
coming Off Leave. If more than 2/3 of all players are On Leave, The
Clock shall become Off until such time as at least 1/3 of all players
are Off Leave. Players may place emselves On Leave or Off Leave while
The Clock is Off.

At any time, whether On Leave or Off Leave, a player may specify any
amount of time, using any readily understandable measurement (ntime or
regular time), with an absolute limit of one year, to be Lurking. Any
player who is Lurking may cease to be by declaring such. Any player who
is not already On Leave, whose Activity has decreased for two
consecutive nweeks, and is not Lurking, shall be placed On Leave, and
also be made On Forced Leave until such time e is not On Leave.
}} [[This fixes a typo, and allows players that are On Leave to come
Off Leave]]

Set the Clock to nweek 55, nday 3. [[where it was when we stopped; to
the best of my knowledge, it's still there.]]

}}

--
Wonko