[Bnomic-private] Re: State of Emergency

Daniel Lepage bnomic-private@ysolde.ucam.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:19:37 -0500

On Wednesday, December 17, 2003, at 11:10 PM, Glotmorf wrote:

> On 17 Dec 2003 at 22:08, Daniel Lepage wrote:
>
>> Athena's Society does not have the power to enforce its Tontine
>> regulations - a player on the verge of Garbage Collection must be On
>> Leave, and On Leave players may not take actions. Which is probably
>> not
>> a good thing, as coming On Leave is an action.
>
> Interestingly, Athena's Society's charter was considered to
> have had the power to enforce its Tontine on Orc in a
> Spacesuit; eir points got transferred to the remaining members
> just before e got GCed, and that was sufficiently long ago
> that it's now a legal action.
>
> Interestingly, r205, in the most recent form I have on file
> (205/5), says a player comes Off Leave when e performs an
> action.  It then goes on to say that while a player is On
> Leave, e cannot perform actions.  If we were to look at the
> combination of these two, one might interpret it to say that
> any actual action a player performs must be while Off Leave,
> and if e happens to be On Leave at the time that's assumed to
> end as soon as the action is performed.
>
> In which case, Mr. in a Spacesuit's compulsory action of
> yielding all eir points to eir fellow Athenians should have
> taken em Off Leave, at which point e'd be GCed three nweeks
> later instead.

R205 states that a player comes Off Leave when e takes an action. It
also states that e cannot take actions. Therefore, e cannot come Off
Leave. Your logic requires that posting an action to a public forum
causes you to take that action; this is not true if the action is one
forbidden to you by the rules, and for a player On Leave all actions
are forbidden.

I believe that Mr. in a Spacesuit's destruction and the subsequent
reclamation of eir possessions by Athena's Society was illegal; it only
happened because of the Statute of Limitations.

--
Wonko