[Bnomic-private] Re: State of Emergency

SkArcher bnomic-private@ysolde.ucam.org
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 04:55:06 -0000

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 23:19:37 -0500, Daniel Lepage <dpl33@cornell.edu>
wrote:

> On Wednesday, December 17, 2003, at 11:10 PM, Glotmorf wrote:
>
>> On 17 Dec 2003 at 22:08, Daniel Lepage wrote:
>>
>>> Athena's Society does not have the power to enforce its Tontine
>>> regulations - a player on the verge of Garbage Collection must be On
>>> Leave, and On Leave players may not take actions. Which is probably not
>>> a good thing, as coming On Leave is an action.
>>
>> Interestingly, Athena's Society's charter was considered to
>> have had the power to enforce its Tontine on Orc in a
>> Spacesuit; eir points got transferred to the remaining members
>> just before e got GCed, and that was sufficiently long ago
>> that it's now a legal action.
>>
>> Interestingly, r205, in the most recent form I have on file
>> (205/5), says a player comes Off Leave when e performs an
>> action.  It then goes on to say that while a player is On
>> Leave, e cannot perform actions.  If we were to look at the
>> combination of these two, one might interpret it to say that
>> any actual action a player performs must be while Off Leave,
>> and if e happens to be On Leave at the time that's assumed to
>> end as soon as the action is performed.
>>
>> In which case, Mr. in a Spacesuit's compulsory action of
>> yielding all eir points to eir fellow Athenians should have
>> taken em Off Leave, at which point e'd be GCed three nweeks
>> later instead.
>
> R205 states that a player comes Off Leave when e takes an action. It
> also states that e cannot take actions. Therefore, e cannot come Off
> Leave. Your logic requires that posting an action to a public forum
> causes you to take that action; this is not true if the action is one
> forbidden to you by the rules, and for a player On Leave all actions are
> forbidden.
>
> I believe that Mr. in a Spacesuit's destruction and the subsequent
> reclamation of eir possessions by Athena's Society was illegal; it only
> happened because of the Statute of Limitations.

the statement requiring players of Athena society surely acts with the
enforcement of the rule which states something like 'Societies have the
right to restrict or mandate players actions in ways specified in their
charter? (sorry, don't have a set of rules handy right now) Because this
would be a limitation on the players actions, that rule permits (and
indeed, enforces) their forced action of giving out all eir points.

SkArcher